• Facebook

Homelands Hall, Jetty Marsh Rd, Newton Abbot TQ12 2SL 

01626 355242

Bridge House, 9 Kingsbridge Lane, Ashburton, TQ13 7DX

 01364 654065

©2020 by Fred Christophers & Son Ltd, trading as Christophers' Family Funerals.

Companies' House number 07209229                   Cookie Policy

When someone dies...

What to do, when, and how.

In Devon, when someone dies it is required that the death is registered in the district that the person died, regardless of their home address. If they died at home, you would register the death at your local registry office. If they died at a residential home or in hospital, then the death would need to be registered in the registry office local to the hospital or residential home. Unfortunately we cannot do this for you, it must be done by a relative or the Executor of the will.

In the meantime, feel free to come in and arrange the funeral service with us. It would be helpful at this stage if you had an idea about whether you would prefer a burial or a cremation. 

Hospital Bereavement Offices

Obtaining a 'Medical Cause of Death' Certificate.

If you're a relative or the Executor of the will, you are able to collect this, or you can give us written permission to obtain this for you. The numbers for the bereavement offices are below.

If a Coroner is involved, the Coroner's Office will ensure all necessary paperwork is with the Registrar, so you don't have to obtain the certificate before you visit the Registry Office.


Telephone to make an appointment on

01803 654818

Royal Devon & Exeter

Telephone to make an appointment on

01392 402349


Telephone to make an appointment on

01752 439492

Registration Offices

Once you have the Medical Cause of Death certificate or the Coroner has sent the paperwork to the Registrar directly, you can book an appointment using the numbers below.


Old Forde House, Newton Abbot, TQ12 4XX

0345 155 1002


Room 15, Paignton Library, Paignton, TQ4 5AG. 

01803 207 130

South Hams

Follaton House, Totnes, TQ9 5NE

0345 155 1002


Lockyer Street, Plymouth, PL1 2QD

01752 268331


Larkbeare House, Topsham Road, Exeter, EX2 4NG

0345 1551002

More Information

Depending on where someone has passed away, you will need to make different arrangements.

Dying at home

If someone has died at home you'll need to call their GP to attend and issue a Medical 'Cause of Death' Certificate. If a Medical Practitioner other than a Doctor (including a Locum) attend, they will issue a  Statement of Death. Once thedeath has been certified by a medical professional, please contact us so that we can bring the deceased into our care.


You may wish for the deceased to stay at home with you for a short time. if this is the case, please let us know and we can give you some advice on this. 

Dying in professional care

Our local hospitals in Devon have Bereavement Offices who are able to offer you emotional support and guidance on the next steps. The hospital bereavement or family liaison officers will offer you emotional support and practical advice about what to do next. They will inform you where the nearest Registry Office is, so that you can register the death.


Once you have called us, we will liaise with the Hospital or Care Home to make the necessary arrangements for you.


You should register the death within 5 days, but may contact us or come to see us beforehand if you would like to discuss the funeral arrangements.


When you register, you will normally receive a green certificate (the  certificate for the burial or cremation) which will enable the funeral to take place. 

Old Map
Dying abroad

As your UK funeral director, we will work with you, an overseas funeral director and the British Consulate or Embassy to organise the necessary documentation and transport of the deceased to the UK.


You will be responsible for the travel costs and overseas funeral directors' fees.


We can also organise transportation from the UK for a committal abroad.

Sudden or unexplained deaths

When someone has died unexpectedly or the doctor is not certain of the cause of death, the case will often be referred to the Coroner’s Office.


It’s still a good idea to contact your funeral director at an early stage. A provisional date can be made, we will also help with some arrangements and we will liaise with the Coroner’s Office for you and confirm the date for the funeral.